Illustrator E.B. Lewis Keynote Speaker at the Austin SCBWI 2013 conference, Kick It Up A Notch


When first daughter was about four years old, we visited the Book Mark in the village of Kingsway, a charming older wealthy area in Toronto, Canada. My husband and I were in search to find a new picture book to read to daughter while we were vacationing and visiting friends. When I asked the proprietor to assist me, she eagerly led me to Down the Road by Alice Schertle, illustrated by E.B. Lewis. Since that moment, I have been a huge fan of E.B.'s work. Today, we still have that book on our shelf and the watercolor illustrations E.B. painted scroll through my mind like slides on a projector. Image after gorgeous image. Hetty shopping at Mr. Birdie's Emporium, Hetty juggling her basket of eggs, and Hetty in the apple tree with Mama and Papa. I could go on and on, it's a collaboration of text and art at it's finest! If you haven't seen this book, it's a treasure worth hunting for.

Here's my favorite refrain from Down the Road:

Down the road,
One and two,
Eggs for breakfast,
how-de-do!

Eggs for breakfast,
clickety-clack,
eggs for breakfast,
not a crack!


So needless to say when RA Debbie Gonzales confirmed that E.B. Lewis accepted our invitation to come to our Austin SCBWI Kick it Up a Notch regional conference and give the keynote address, my mind flew to that spot, where Hetty sat up high, high in the apple tree. Wheeee! People, we're in for a sweet, juicy, apple treat!

This week, Mark G. Mitchell, illustrator chair for the Austin SCBWI chapter included an old interview he'd done with E.B. Lewis on his blog post "Mary's Magic." And I'm pointing you toward it, it's worth every four minutes of your time to watch it. Click Here to read that post and hear the interview with E.B. There's also a wonderful glimpse into Mary Sullivan's latest picture book Ball (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2013) and it, too, is worth viewing! Her illustrations capture the emotions and actions of a dog in a way that leaves you spellbound and awestruck.

I hope to see many of you starry-eyed like me when E.B. takes to the podium at the Kick It Up a Notch ASCBWI Conference. I'm holding my breath, counting the days until Saturday, February 8th, 2013. Click Here to register.