Advice From an Agent - Revision

Things have been off the chart busy as of late. It’s all good as the saying goes. I’ve been working like a beaver on a couple of revisions that an agent suggested for two of my works-in-progress. One wasn’t really a request, more of a pondering; I wonder if this ending could have an even bigger payoff? Although, the illustrator might achieve this through the illustrations, she said. But I decided to explore the options (that’s what we writers do).

You never have anything to lose. You can always pitch the revision. You’re not forced to stay with it. Why not try a few different scenarios and see if anything shakes loose.

Could I uncover an even stronger ending? I wasn’t sure but I was eager to try. I mean, if I have an opportunity to make my book stronger, more rewarding and satisfying for my reader, then I’d be a fool not to at least test the waters. And that’s what I did.

First, I brainstormed ideas of how the ending might play out. Of course, I had to keep in mind what my character wanted. What would be an even bigger payoff for the MC based on what was important to her? Could I elevate the emotional impact? And it needed to be plausible and real and authentic. I also wanted to reward the reader with a surprise twist. Something they might not be expecting. Hmmm. So I scratched away in my notebook. And then I took my chicken scratch notes to the computer and started revising. I uncovered what I think is an even stronger ending. More emotional. Multi-layered.

“I like it. I like it a lot” as Lloyd Christmas (played by Jim Carey) said in the movie Dumb and Dumber.



So don’t ever be afraid to try. Be brave. Take a chance. You have nothing to lose. You can always recycle the revision. Trust yourself as a writer!